Responsible for assisting the Project Manager in the oversight of all administrative and technical requirements for construction projects. As directed by the Project Manager, the Project Engineer will assist in activities related to contract administration, change orders, submittals, procurement, project financials set-up and updates, safety and schedule to ensure projects are completed in a quality, profitable, and timely manner.
Essential Functions, Duties and Responsibilities
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and skills required of personnel so classified.
- Assist Project Manager in defining responsibilities for processing submittals including taking ownership of more difficult trades in cases of limited staff.
- Prepare, review and monitor information and reports related to costs involved in assigned projects.
- Coordinate with the General Superintendent the direction, planning, coordination, and execution of work on time, within budget, attaining or exceeding profit goals while maintaining a safe workplace, promoting and enhancing client relationships.
- Participate in buyout, Owner/Architect/Contractor coordination, lead team, subcontractor, staff, scheduling and project completion reviews and meetings.
- Assist in preparing bid packages and subcontractor scope of work; setup subcontractor pre-work meeting, keep meeting minutes and follow up.
- Conduct pre-award interviews with the assistance of the Construction Manager as appropriate.
- Confirm all required paperwork from subcontractors and suppliers is completed at appropriate designated times before and during the project.
- Communicate with all suppliers and subcontractors to be certain they understand performance related to predetermined schedules or plans and specifications. If performance problems occur, coordinate with Project Manager regarding the appropriate actions to take with the subcontractor.
- Ensure the development, maintenance and enforcement of a project specific quality assurance and workmanship program to include all subcontractors.
- Assist with construction schedule and an organization and responsibilities matrix at the start of each project. Review with all project participants (employees, subcontractors, customers, suppliers, government regulators, utilities, etc.) to ensure project is completed on time and within budget.
- Perform a qualitative review of all contract documents for potential conflicts or interpretation issues to mitigate risk.
- Participate with the Construction Manager in the development of monthly progress report, monthly payment applications, anticipated cost report, and other financial costs reports.
- Review and provide feedback on all purchase orders and subcontracts.
- Assist with creating and managing project budgets.
- Manages compliance, payment and reviews documentation for contractor/ subcontractor contracts.
- Managing the documentation to justify costs for modifications, component estimates and claims to the client.
- Prepare and agree Client contract modifications and subcontractor change orders to maximize project profitability.
- Ensure a complete and accurate set of contract documents including all the current contract changes and clarifications and a complete set of as-builts are available at the field location.
- Direct the development and maintain a plan for monitoring and completing punch list items.
- Manage the project closeout process to settle all financial obligations, demobilize all resources, and transition the project to the customer.
- Attend all mandatory periodic planning, progress, and closeout meetings with project staff and other key people on project concerns, problems, and unexpected situations that may arise with subcontractors, suppliers, customer changes, etc.
- Assist in the development of the Construction Management team by interviewing, hiring, training and participating in the professional development of the staff to ensure competent professionals who are knowledgeable of and in compliance with all policies and procedures.
- Build effective relationships with customers, design team, user groups, and subcontractors that reflect and supports company core values and meets/exceeds the customer’s expectations.
- Maintain current certifications for First Aid and CPR.
The majority of work is completed on jobsites in an office trailer or in an existing structure. Due to daily changes on construction projects, when employees are outside of the office trailer or structure they must wear appropriate personal protective equipment as required by the company’s safety policies and as required for weather conditions. Ability to telecommute or telework from remote location.
* Standard Office Environment = no more than 60%
* Job Observation Travel = no more than 20%
* Meeting Travel = no more than 20%
Sitting 50% on time of job. Critical Abilities: standing and walking 50% of time on job; able to lift (blue prints, submittals, specifications, drawings, samples, manuals), 5 times/day minimum; climbing; identifying and distinguishing between colors; stooping, bending, kneeling; repeated use of hands (typing, writing, plan and specification readings, use of office equipment) 75% of time on job; communicate (talking) 75% of time on job; able to hear (alarms, phones, radios, general construction activity) 100% of time on job.
Education, Experience, and Knowledge
- B.S. in Construction Management, Engineering or related field plus 4 – 6 years of experience in leadership positions on projects on various sizes preferred; 1 – 2 years of preconstruction experience preferred. LEED AP preferred.
- Possess strong organization, communication, and leadership skills. Demonstrate ability to eventually grow into the Construction Manager role and lead the project team.
- Able to interpret relevant areas of contract documents, such as Terms and Conditions.
- Knowledge of basic PC-based programs (Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, and Project).
- Able to prioritize and delegate multiple responsibilities to others. Manage essential functions effectively by consistently driving or quality, profitable, and timely results on assigned projects.
- Able to supervise and develop employees to assess and build talent.
- Able to read and interpret blue prints and other architectural drawings.
- Demonstrated integrity that shows support for the company, its values and employees while maintain constant focus on meeting/exceeding customer’s requirements and expectations.